Our online database is always expanding as the Museum receives and digitizes photo collections relating to Lane County. Follow the link to browse over 30,000+ digitized images for ancestors, portraits, historical buildings, urban centers, scenic views, businesses, and more. Our photo collections include (with Object-ID):
General Collection (GN)
Kennell Ellis (KE)
Smith Mountjoy (SM)
J.M. Nighswander (JN)
Elizabeth Romane (ER and L82-516-)
Henry R. Ross (HR)
Chester Stevenson (CS)
John and Clarence Winter (WR)
Don Hunter (DHE) 1938-196 (DH) 1963-20022 (DHC) Don Hunter Carousel Slide Shows (DHGP) Don Hunter Glass Plates
NOTE: We are currently maintaining a flickr account for interesting selections from our image collection. If you are interested in seeing what images we have uploaded so far, please check out our ongoing flicker account project: Lane County Historical Museum
The Don Hunter Collection
Don Hunter (1914 – 2016 ), retired Audio Visual Director and professor emeritus of the University of Oregon (1947-1977), was also a prolific amateur photographer. He is best known for his elaborate slideshow programs presented on upwards of three to four screens with accompanying music and narration. His photographic slides present rich documentary information for Lane County and surrounding areas dating back to 1938. The collection itself is comprised of an estimated 172,000 35mm color slides, fifty-two in-depth, hand-notated slide catalogs of the collection and two card catalogs indexed by topics. Subjects and topics include: ghost towns; logging; natural disasters; steam locomotives; trips to numerous Audio-Visual Departments at universities across the United States and audio-visual equipment; wild land conservation; wildlife; and local events e.g., the annual Canoe Fete at the University of Oregon, the Eugene Celebration, the Oregon Country Fair, and the Scandinavian Festival. Non-local photographs of interest include the August 14, 1945 V-J Day celebration (Victory over Japan) in Chicago, Illinois and the 1964-65 New York World’s Fair. Digitized images of the of Don Hunter collection are designated with an object-ID of DH. Please note that many of these images may not yet be available online.
General Overview of Collections Holdings
The Lane County Historical Museum Archives is a regional repository relating to Lane County’s settlement and growth since 1847. Primary collections include:
- Photographs: over 300,000 images of Eugene and Lane County covering a wide variety of topics such as industry, businesses, residences, street scenes, scenic views, and portraits from the 1860s to the present.
- Manuscripts: original records of businesses, families, schools, civic groups, and other organizations.
- Books & Maps: this reference collection of published items relates primarily to Lane County history. However, a number of books and maps pertain to the State of Oregon.
- Studies & Reports: statistical information in drafts and final reports on such subjects as transportation, environment, and development issues.
- Newspaper Clippings: a general reference collection of newspaper clippings and other textual economic, cultural, and post settlement history, as well as biographical material.